Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Becoming Screen Literate

After reviewing the article "Becoming Screen Literate" by Kevin Kelly, I started to think about times throughout my day where there isn't some type of screen involved and realized there is barely any at all. Aside from at soccer practice and when I am sleeping, I either have my phone or laptop on me, or I am watching TV. The article explains that screens have now taken over many traditional innovations that we had. The article also illustrates how much work goes into what shows up on the screens for us. For example, Kelly describes how much work and hours go into making a film, both the traditional and digital ones we have today. While reading the article, one thing I thought of in the back of my head was an instance that happened to me the other day. We were in the weight room lifting and noticed that there had been I-pads installed on each of the weight stations and the article reminded me of it because everyday there are screens or technology being added to a different aspect in our life. Now when we lift weights, we will have an I-pad illustrating to us the exercise to do. Another part of the article that really stood out to me when when Kelly was speaking about how we used to have table of contents, index, and bibliographical citations, which would help direct us to certain parts of books, but now we have hyperlinks which just lead us to another text and help us understand more. I am excited to see what other developments screens will bring us in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment