Monday, August 29, 2016

"Is Google Making Us Stupid?" -Nicholas Carr (first half)

When I first heard the title "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" an article written by Nicholas Carr, I  initially thought the article wasn't going to make much sense. How could Google, the website that gives us mass amounts of information at the click of a button, make us stupid? But then as soon as I started to read the article, I caught myself doing exactly what the article was talking about, which was losing concentration on what I was reading. I realized how long the article was and my mind started to drift off onto other subjects, and I really had to focus on paying attention to the words I was reading. Now with all of the technology that has been created, we do things the fastest, easiest, and shortest way they can be done. We have Google, which gives us answers to almost any questions we could have, which takes us away from the traditional ways of learning new information. For example, in the article it speaks about Bruce Friedman, who posts regularly about computers in medicine, won't read articles that are longer that a few paragraphs long. Is this allowing us to miss out on important information that couldn't be covered in just a few short paragraphs? Even when we are little we are taught to not always take the shortcuts to do things just because it makes them easier, because that often leads to things being done wrong. By having all of these shortcuts with technology, are we missing about on more information we could know? After reading the article, I agree that having all of these technological advances might not always be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment